Daring Bakers October 2009 – Macarons

October 27th, 2009

The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. She chose macarons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.

Guess what flavor I made?

Guess what flavor I made?

If you follow me (or any other Daring Baker) on Twitter, you’ll already know that many of us did not care for this recipe. It flat out did not work for most of us (including myself). I tried it. It didn’t work. I could see many reasons it wold not work as I was making it but went ahead anyway. And then I wished I had just saved the time and ingredients.

The marshmallows may be a little thick, but, then again, there's really no such thing as too thick a marshmallow.

So why are there pictures of somewhat-successful macarons here? After tossing the completely failed macarons into the trash, I started over. With my school’s recipe (which I will not be sharing, since I’m not really supposed to do that I think…it is VERY close to the one I’ve used in the past though). I still didn’t have complete success but they came out MUCH better and I was able to put a few together – and some even came out well enough to take pictures!

How'd I get them to stick in there? GANACHE!

How'd I get them to stick in there? GANACHE!

Of course this was all after I’d already thrown a fit about wasting my entire Sunday on something that was only barely successful. If I were the type of person to get embarrassed, I would be. Horribly. But I don’t really do embarrassed. I move on and set up a few shots anyway.

It's imposing.

It's imposing.

If you still can’t tell what flavor they are, they’re hot chocolate macarons with vanilla bean marshmallows in the middle. I put hot chocolate mix in the shells (substituting it for 10 grams each of almond flour and powdered sugar), spread ganache on the insides to up the chocolate flavor and anchor the marshmallows in place, and dusted them with a little extra mix right before serving. I also served them WITH hot chocolate and marshmallows.

Extra marshmallows means more hot chocolatey times for me!

Extra marshmallows means more hot chocolatey times for me!

If they’re not chocolatey enough for ya, just dunk them in the hot chocolate. It worked for me!

43 Responses to “Daring Bakers October 2009 – Macarons”

1. Meeta says:

hot chocolate and marshmallow macarons? wow what a great flavor combination. love this!

2. wic says:

wow. I would love to have one. they look divine.

3. Hot chocolate & marshmallow macarons. What an amazing flavour mix. They look so cute too. I love it.

4. Trissa says:

I love a generous macaron! hehe.

5. pontch says:

What a great combination, especially for this fall season.
    it’s look so good!

6. Esther says:

Great Idea ! love the marshmallows as a filling.

7. Olga says:

Cute idea to use marshmallows!

8. Tracy says:

I couldn’t get the DB recipe to work for me either. Yours are so cute, and what great flavors!

9. jenny says:

Very pretty, I suspect the macaron journey is a very long one and that most people have scraped together the 3 or 4 successful ones for a photo!

My feeling is that these things are really temperamental, and that even a recipe can be inaccurate until you adjust for the exact ingredients. I dont have the time or patience to repeat over and over to get the right product!

10. Ahmad says:

I am hearing lotsa raging about this recipe!! hehe I didn’t use it I used my tried and trusted ratios from Syrup and Tang. Google them up! They’re super fool-proof imo.

11. Oh, my! Are these ever cute! I love your idea for the marshmallow in the middle with the hot chocolate flavor. very clever!

12. Interesting idea with the marshmallows and hot chocolate idea :) Have yet to see one like it!

13. MandyM says:

Oh! I was wondering if anyone was going to use marshmallow as a filling! They look so good :D

14. Jenny says:

I share your sentiment about the macaron process, for sure! Your final results look great, though – love the marshmallow.

15. Caitlin says:

Yep, that recipe was a dud for me (as you know). But I LOVE that flavor combo – how clever! And an excuse to have hot chocolate with them – it’s just perfect.

16. What a great idea and I bet they teasted great. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

17. Rose says:

Oh how lovely! Very original idea ;) They look beautiful. Now I’m craving hot chocolate!!!!!!

18. [...] Very Small Anna’s marshmallow filled macarons [...]

19. I did marshmallows to fill them too. looks great and totally agree about the recipe.

20. Love your combo; makes me want these by the fire with the snow outside…nice.

21. annmartina says:

I think the only thing that kept me from totally losing it the day I made mine was that my son had a friend over. I used a different recipe for my second attempt too and worried about getting busted over it. But it seems like a lot of people did. Yours are making my mouth water. I am a marshmallow addict. Which is funny, because I hated them when I was little.

22. You made smores!!!!! How cool! I’ve never made these things, I really need to.

23. GAH! I wish I hadn’t bothered trying the recipe after hearing about so many failures. Going to be more careful henceforth…

24. Jill says:

I love your flavor combination you came up with–they look so YUMMY!! :)

25. courtney says:

Now thats brilliant!

26. Wow! These sound awesomely delicious! Great idea for the flavors & marshmallow! I’m also glad to hear that I’m not the only one whose macarons failed miserably!

27. sarah says:

O. M. G. if i have any say over it you win for best flavor combination. i’m totally stealing your idea…and how perfect for the upcoming cool weather!

28. i would call it a s’mores……..mmmmm. yes the recipe? wtf? maybe i am completely against the rule but i read it, saw the method, and said hmmm yeah this isn’t going to work…..so i just made the macarons i always make :P

so you mean–you’re hosting the next challenge!?!?!

29. Ellie says:

Wow! Mashmellow and hot chocolate macarons!!! Can I ahve some? They are perfect macarons. Very nicely done!

30. Y says:

This looks so comforting :) Also for some odd reason, they remind me of donuts – not always a bad thing!

31. shaz says:

Love how “tall” they look with the marhsmallow in the middle. Excellent flavour idea, I want some to dunk now :)

32. Osakaben says:

I’m looking out my office window at a cold and rainy day, dreaming of just this kind of treat. I think I saw somewhere a Chocolate dipped Mac, so you’re just one step away from a beautiful Mallow-Macaron marraige. I’ve Got to try this one sometime.

33. Lauren says:

I thought they were smores at first, but hot chocolate sounds just as good! Your macarons look fabulous – Awesome job!

34. Adriana says:

Even though I’m not careful enough to be a good baker I got it into my head that I wanted to learn how to make macarons. And then I watched this Daring Bakers macaron meltdown and started having doubts. Maybe it is the recipe–maybe I could pull off the David Leibowitz? Anyway, your hot chocolate marshmallow confections look scrumptious.

35. Lisa says:

WOW..hot chocolate macarons with a vanilla bean marshmallows are not only creative, but super duper comforting and yummy! They look beautiful too! Great job!!

36. Haha these are GENIUS! I love them! Sorry to hear about the problems. I think most people had similar issues :(

37. Asha@FSK says:

Hot chocolate and marshmallows.. what a interesting combination!! French version of s’mores :)).. Love it!

38. Christi says:

Amazing how a slighting different ratio of ingredients could mess up so many people’s macarons. I love the hot chocolate marshmallow, tasty!

39. Carolyn Jung says:

Can you send a dozen of them over to my house? Pretty please?? ;)

40. Hannah says:

Now that kind of filling sounds like the best sort possible! I absolutely love it, and I’ll have to try it some time.

41. El says:

Macarons are tough to make – congratulations. I could go for one paired with hot chocolate right now!

42. Josie says:

I had the same problem with the daring bakers recipe! I have made macaroons before that turned out just fine but the DB recipe came out horrrible!

this batch looks great! glad you have a more successful recipe to fall back on!

43. Crystal says:

Your macarons look stunning! They’re all the rage in France and are often given as gifts. I’ll be posting about them soon too on my blog
    (www.acookonthefunnyside.com). I recently had some with caramel in the middle – fantastic.