Bakewell Tart/Pudding: Daring Bakers June 2009

June 27th, 2009

The June Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart… er… pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800′s in England.

Clockwise from top left: fig, strawberry champagne, peach and cherry.

Clockwise from top left: fig, strawberry champagne, peach and cherry.

Mini tarts were made, of course. Adorable mini tarts. However, they’re not the only things that were made. Oh no.

I used this recipe as an excuse to buy a couple of things that I’d been lusting over in the cooking supply store.

Rectangular pan! At last you are mine!

Rectangular pan! At last you are mine!

I’d been wanting a long rectangular tart pan for quite a while and was sososo excited to finally have a need for one.

(The other things I bought was a super cute red digital scale, but there are no picture of that in this post. I love it, though.)

Sea of cherry...

Sea of cherry...

Why, yes, that is the cherry jam I made.

I was worried it wouldn't bake up nicely...

I was worried it wouldn't bake up nicely...

I was also really excited about this recipe because it involved frangipane, which I’d never had but sounded wonderful. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s an awesomely tasty almond batter. Yum.

Perfect? Pretty much.

Perfect? Pretty much.

But how did the tiny ones turn out?

Forgot the almonds on these...oops.

Forgot the almonds on these...oops.

Puffy and cute…but I still think the rectangular one looks better. So this is the last you’ll see of these little guys.

Now THAT'S a corner!

Now THAT'S a corner!

The recipe called for flaked almonds, which I completely forgot to buy at the store. I did, however, have whole raw almonds, so I “flaked” them as well as I could.

So loooong.

So loooong.

I think they turned out pretty well and gave my tart a fairly cute rustic look.

Choppy "flaked" almonds.

Choppy "flaked" almonds.

It’s not just coincidence that I filled this with a homemade cherry jam – I made the jam for the tart, as making homemade jam was encouraged as part of the challenge. Luckily there was plenty of extra!

How cute is that??

How cute is that??

This recipe was very very easy and tastes incredible. If you like almonds, anyway.

Awesome, almondy layers.

Awesome, almondy layers.

If you don’t like (gasp!) or can’t have almonds, it would be fun to substitute some other kind of nut and pair it with a corresponding jam. Fig jam with walnut! Grape jelly with peanut! Orange marmalade with hazelnut!

Look! The jam layer dates back to the Cherryolithic Era!

Look! The jam layer dates back to the Cherryolithic Era!

Cherries and almonds are classic and wonderful together, and both happen to be among my favorite flavors.

Oh, jam.

Oh, jam.

Since Bakewell Tarts are traditionally served with some sort of cream topping, you can guess what’s coming.

Look familiar? I made my Philly-style chocolate cayenne ice cream specifically to go on top of this tart.

Look at it melt!

Look at it melt!

Chocolate goes perfectly with both cherries and almonds, and cayenne goes well with cherries and chocolate, so it seemed like a good idea.

Tempting and chocolatey.

Tempting and chocolatey.

It definitely was a good idea. This became obvious as the ice cream melted and oozed into the frangipane, creating a chocolatey, cherry-flavored mass of tasty, sticky, slightly spicy and somewhat crunchy desserty goodness. Yum.

See how it melts!

See how it melts!

Thanks to Jasmine and Annemarie for choosing such a fun and tasty challenge! You can go to their blogs to see the full recipe – I didn’t stray from it, and used almond extract as traditionally called for.

22 Responses to “Bakewell Tart/Pudding: Daring Bakers June 2009”

1. sunita says:

What a wonderful tart…well done :-)

2. Aparna says:

They look gorgeous. Love that ice-cream.
    After seeing your and Deeba’s rectangular tart pans, I’m getting one next!

3. Lisa says:

I love the strawberry champagne filling in the smaller tarts, as well as the fig, but that LONG cherry rectangular tart topped with chocolate ice cream is to die for! Way to go on rocking this challenge!

4. Carrie says:

Oh Anna!

That is amazing! I have been wanting one of those rectangular tart pans forever! Lucky! You definitely put it to good use!!!

5. sabiilaa says:

gorgeous looking tarts! yumm!

6. I also used this challenge to buy a good scale — they are fun! Love your new pan and the tart that came out of it. And the ice cream? I could easily overdose on that.

7. Megan says:

It’s beautiful. The ice cream was a nice surprise and I thought, chocolate? and then I thought, oh yeah! Right on…and you’ve given me a reason to go buy one of those long tart pans. I like the way it looks served in rectangular slices as opposed to wedges.

You are so busy all the time, baking. I envy your free schedule.

8. ConorBooms says:

Oh wow, that chocolate cayenne ice cream sounds fantastic. I’ve been put off making my own ice cream as every recipe calls for an ice cream machine of some sort, but your recipe actually sounds do-able for me. And dangerously edible. The recipe doesn’t actually say how many serves it is so surely I can eat it all myself, right? :D

Oh, and lovely tarts too!

9. Caitlin says:

Oh so jealous – I loooove those rectangular tart pans! Beautiful job!

10. Elissa says:

My favorite shot hands down is the one of the corner, but it all looks amazing! I’m super jealous of your rectangular pan… but those tarts would look lovely in any shape :) Well done!

11. Carolyn Jung says:

I’m lusting after that rectangular tart pan, too. You might have just convinced me to splurge on one now. ;)

12. Lauren says:

Yum!! Your tarts look amazing =D. I love all the different shapes you made! Beautiful photos!!

13. JennyBakes says:

I love using challenges as an excuse to buy a new kitchen utensil or pan. :) I have had my eye on a square tart pan for a while, but LOVE your long rectangular one! Your tarts look great too, but pan = want.

14. Dragon says:

You are so creative! Great job on this month’s challenge.

15. Y says:

Mmm to chocolate cayenne ice-cream! I’ll have a bowl of that please! The tarts look lovely too, which reminds me, I really should use my rectangular pan more often!

16. Chris says:

Love the melting chocolate cayenne ice-cream over the slice. Looks deelish! Like Y, I need to dig out my rectangular pan and use it more often.

17. jasmine says:

A pb&j bakewell? That deserves some time in the kitchen.

Thanks for participating.

j

18. asti says:

I also used this challenge as an excuse to buy a rectangular pie pan. hehehe. Great job on the challenge, not only they look absolutely fabulous, your flavour combination is very creative and very enticing.

19. Juliana says:

Your tarts look fantastic…so yummie. Love the combination of flavors that you have in it. Great pictures as well.

20. Hannah says:

You’ve got so many fun shapes and colors going on here! Great job on the challenge.

21. Your tart looks fantastic and so elegant! Hehe I love my long rectangular pan too (although it’s best when not using pre bought pastry as it requires a patch job).

22. Jenni says:

Oh. My. Love your rectangular masterpiece:) Cool DB challenge, plus your ice cream is pretty over the top (in the Best way)!